LACY SHRUG IN BAMBOO
SIZE: This shrug fits almost anyone. If you want it longer down your back cast on 51 sts and continue increasing to 68 sts. If you want longer sleeves, work the straight part along the back for extra repeats of the 4 row pattern. Sew the sleeves to the ½ way between your shoulder and armpit for a nice drape in the back and to have it stay on your shoulders.
MATERIALS: 4 50g balls of Sirdar JUST BAMBOO ribbon.
One pair 8mm needles. This is a very loosely knit garment
1. Cast on 45 sts.
2. Purl 1 row.
3. Solid cuff row: P5, *K2, P1. Repeat from * to the last 2 sts. P2.
4. Purl 1 row.
5. Next row: P5, *K2, P1. Repeat from * to last 3 sts. Increase 1 in next st, P2.
6. Inc.Pattern Rows: Rows 1 and 3: Purl.
7. 2nd pattern row (right side): P5, K 2, *yfwd, K2tog, K1 Repeat from * to last 2 sts, P2.
8. 4th pattern row: P5, *K2, P1. Repeat from * to last 3 sts. Increase 1 in next st, P2.
9. Repeat these four rows, including the increased stitches into the pattern until there are a total of 60 sts (or whatever width you desire) ending with an increase.
10. Next row: Place a marker at the beginning of the row. Continue without increasing on the 4th row for 44 rows (or length desired). Place a second marker along the same edge as the first.
11. Dec. Pattern Rows: Rows 1 and 3: Purl.
12. 2nd pattern row: P5, K 2, *yfwd, K2tog, K1 Repeat from * to last 2 sts, P2.
13. 4th pattern row: P5, *K2, P1. Repeat from * to last 3 sts. K2tog, P2.
14. Repeat these 4 rows until there are 45 sts ending with 4th pattern row. Purl 1 row.
15. Repeat the solid cuff row from the beginning of the pattern .
16. Cast off loosely on the next row.
17. Sew arms along the first 7 repeats of the pattern (count the yfwd eyelets to guide you) or whatever length suits your fit and look.
18. In case you’re not sure, the garter stitch edge (P5) usually looks better around the neck and the shaped edge goes along the bottom but it’s whatever suits best.
**Note: If you want a more fitted look, continue sewing the underarm seam to the desired length.
Copyright 2007 WOOL-TYME Kingston, Anne Cormier Woodall